According to the U.S. Fire Administration, there were 371,500 residential fires in 2017. Only 1.6% of those fires were from natural causes, while cooking caused 51.6% of them. We at Restoration 1 hope that knowing the 5 most common causes of residential fires can help raise awareness and increase preventative practices in our Fayette County homes to safeguard from potential fires.
Cooking is the cause of half of all residential fires. Since the kitchen is where the cooking happens, this is where we need to start to be proactive with fire safety. First, never leave cooking food unattended. If an appliance that heats up is on and hot, it should never be left alone. Second, keep your cooking equipment clean. Build up on stovetops, ovens, and even in microwaves can become flammable. Third, keep flammable objects away from the stove and any other possible heat sources. Be sure to use caution whenever you are cooking in the kitchen, and have a fire extinguisher on hand just in case.
Heating causes made up 9.1% of residential fires in 2017. Space heaters can be great for heating a small room, but when left alone in a room they can be a huge fire risk. Be sure that space heaters are a safe distance away from any flammable objects (walls, curtains, bedding, etc), and do not leave them on unattended. Routine inspection and cleaning of wood stoves and chimneys can help prevent fires by removing any potential obstructions and build up. Keeping up with routine maintenance on the water heater will help prevent malfunctions and possible fires.
Unintentional fires caused by carelessness made up for 7.1% of residential fires. Mistakes happen, and no one is perfect, but negligence with potential fire hazards is something we all can and should work on. Leaving burning candles in rooms unattended, putting heating devices near combustible items, failing to completely put out cigarettes, being careless in the kitchen, not keeping matches and lighters in safe places are just some examples of careless acts that can lead to fires. Keep flammable objects and material in safe and hard to reach places, and make sure to turn off valves on gas tanks when not in use. Always treat anything hot or on fire with the utmost care.
6.5% of residential fires were the result of an electrical malfunction. Frayed wires and damaged cords should be thrown away and replaced immediately. Any exposed wires need to be addressed before being used. Do not over-plug outlets. When too much current is running through a single outlet or extension cord, fires can start. Do not plug multiple appliances into the same electrical socket. If you have multiple cords that need power in one area (i.e. the TV and entertainment center), you should use a surge protected to ensure that there is not current overload. If cords feel hot after being plugged in for extended amounts of time, unplug them and do not use them again until they cool down.
Open flame sources made up 4.3% of residential fires. Candles, indoor fireplaces, and outside fires can be very pleasant and enjoyable, but can also easily get out of hand and lead to fires. You can prevent residential fires started from open flames by making sure flames are completely put out when done, keeping candles at least 12 inches away from anything flammable, and never leaving open flames unattended for any amount of time.
House fires are devastating and can even be fatal. If you find yourself dealing with a residential fire, call Restoration 1 of McDonough. We understand fire damage, how it works, and how to clean it up. Our services in Fayette County and surrounding areas are proven to provide the best restoration and results in the industry. We will work quickly and efficiently to mitigate damage and restore your property expertly and safely. When it comes to fire damage cleanup, do not wait to call Restoration 1 of McDonough.
As a first time homeowner, my home suffered water damage from a water heater leak. So glad I called this company. Peace of mind and trust worthy! From the kindness and professionalism of Mrs. Nicole to Mr. Rick professionalism and knowledge. Mr. Drake has been awesome as well!! He is knowledgeable, professional, and pays very close attention to every detail and continues to stop by daily to make sure everything is drying well! Soooo thankful! Highly recommend this company if your home suffers from water damage.
Absolutely outstanding experience with this company. The work is 100% excellent. The owner and employees were professional, courteous, helped with reassurance that our house could be restored. I would recommend this company to anyone requiring such services.
When water destroys homes or commercial buildings, it is often a time for panic, as water damage can strike when least expected. In these situations, water damage restoration companies step in to mitigate the results and help businesses and individuals get back on their feet. Their skill and expertise are far greater than mere water […]
Water damage can strike unexpectedly, wreaking havoc on homes and businesses. However, the adage “prevention is better than cure” holds true, and water damage restoration companies play a vital role in safeguarding properties through proactive and preventive services. Water Damage Company – McDonough, Georgia In this article, we will explore the importance of these services […]